Australian Colleges of Further Education Pty Ltd trading as
Australian Institute of English Language (AIEL) is a specialised Registered Training Organisation (RTO) which delivers the nation’s largest scope of English language qualifications for both local and international students. AIEL is proud to offer international students a wide range of Australian government approved courses.
ELICOS Standards 2018
In late 2017, the Australian Government Department of Education and Training implemented changes to ELICOS (English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students) requirements and the Standards ELICOS Standards 2018.
Registered Training Organisations currently delivering English-language VET courses will no longer be able to enrol new overseas students in these courses from 1 March 2018. English-language VET courses include:
- 10361NAT Course in Preliminary Spoken and Written English
- 10362NAT Certificate I in Spoken and Written English
- 10363NAT Certificate II in Spoken and Written English
- 10364NAT Certificate III in Spoken and Written English
- 10365NAT Certificate IV in Spoken and Written English – Further Studies
- 10366NAT Certificate IV in Spoken and Written English – Employment
In accordance with arrangements in the ELICOS Standards 2018, Australian Colleges of Further Education (ACFE) will ‘teach out’ or transition current students enrolled on or before 28 February 2018.
To ensure that we are able to meet the requirements of the ELICOS Standards 2018, ACFE will:
- Immediately cease taking enrolments in to the above qualifications
- Work with individual applicants and Education Agents to advise on available alternative courses (as listed below)
- Review each current enrolled student and develop a plan to teach out or transition to an alternative ELICOS course
2018 ELICOS Course Offerings
ELICOS Course Offerings from 2018
- General English (GE) Full Time Click here for more information
- General English (GE) Part Time Click here for more information
- English for Academic Purposed (EAP) Click here for more information
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System) Click here for more information
The below table indicates options for entry and progression through our range of ELICOS courses.
English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS) Courses
AIEL offers a wide range of employment focused courses to our Australian and overseas students. A mainstay of our most popular programs are the ELICOS courses.
This is our most popular English course, designed for all levels. General English (GE) is a fun, interactive class which prepares you to use English in the real world. At AIEL you will learn how to communicate with native English speakers by improving your speaking, listening and pronunciation.
This course is an ideal way to develop your reading, listening, speaking and writing skills for everyday use. Choose between Standard and Intensive programs to improve your general English language proficiency for employment, higher education or travel purposes.
Classes are available at five levels graded from Elementary to Advanced, with each cycle lasting 12 weeks.
The course comprises of the following components:
- Theme-based language development from core text book
- Teacher designed language extension of macro-skill areas
- Skills development
- Elective programs and option classes
- Self-access sessions
International English Language Testing System (IELTS) exam preparation courses prepare students to take the IELTS test for academic, work or immigration purposes. The IELTS course focuses on four macro skills (reading, writing, listening, speaking), targeting individual requirements. We target individual students’ requirements that students may have by focusing on the four macro skills. We will actively assist students in booking their IELTS examination.
As the IELTS learners have a specific goal that is to obtain a targeted score from the IELTS test, classes can be set to focus on these learners’ specific needs and materials and the class level can be moderated to concentrate on that Band score area. AIEL can deliver ‘IELTS Bands 4-5’ or ‘Target Band 7’ to assist with the learner’s goal.
English for Academic Purposes (EAP)
The EAP Program has been designed to prepare international students for vocational or tertiary-level study in Australia and other contexts where English is the language of instruction.
The course aims to develop students’ awareness, knowledge and skills in four key areas:
- The use of English as the language of teaching and learning in a vocational and/or university environment.
- The cultural beliefs, norms and practices underpinning a Western-style academic culture, as well as those of the other cultures students are likely to encounter in a multicultural society such as Australia.
- To prepare learners for further studies in a specific area. Some learners have specific needs i.e. they want to become an engineer, or to transfer skills to work in such an environment. Therefore they have specific vocabulary and language needs to help them achieve their specific goal.
- English for the travel and tourism industry.
Learning activities will focus on writing, reading and listening, grammar and vocabulary development, oral presentation skills, research skills and web literacy. There will be an emphasis on the development of critical literacy and critical thinking throughout the course. By engaging in such activities, students will gain increased confidence in using English to communicate in academic contexts at Certificate, Diploma, Undergraduate and Postgraduate levels; and develop the study skills they need to cope with the demands of studying at these levels.
AIEL offers flexibility and different training methods:
- Block training
- Workplace based training
- Blended (combination of self-paced and face-to-face)
All AIEL qualifications and programs are offered to be delivered in Australia, for international students studying in Australia and overseas countries.